A fossil herbivorous mammal of the early Tertiary period, ancestral to the ungulates.
- Order Condylarthra: several families
More example sentences
- Paleocene faunas were dominated by what we refer to as archaic mammals: condylarths (archaic ungulates), archaic primates, small rodent-like multituberculates, pantodonts, and others.
- Archaic ungulates (‘condylarths’) were long known to be among many eutherians to make their first appearance and proliferate in the Paleocene.
- Primates, insectivores, and condylarths are recognized by the beginning of the Cenozoic, and by the start of the Eocene, most modern groups had become established.
Definition of condylarth in:
- The British & World English dictionary