Definition of conformable in English:
adjective(usually conformable to)
1(Of a person) disposed or accustomed to conform to what is acceptable or expected.
- Highly conformable to the patient's body these dressings adhere well to high-friction areas, such as the sacrum and heels.
- The insert is latex-free and consists of a narrow silicone tube that is completely encapsulated by a soft, conformable, fluid-filled sleeve.
- A conformable sensor makes it possible to measure pressure and touch in places not previously possible, such as on the curved surfaces of the human body.
1.1Similar in form or nature; consistent: this proposition might be conformable to the original conjecture
More example sentences
- It cannot ‘be buried, because Distributism is a system conformable to the needs of man and his nature.’
- A conformable policy measure is one that is consistent with those principles, while a non-conformable policy measure is one that clashes with them.
- One of the criteria for the selection of undertakers and tenants was that they be conformable in religion.
1.2 Geology (Of strata in contact) deposited in a continuous sequence, and typically having the same direction of stratification.
- After this, a process of denudation forms a thick sequence of overlying conformable clastic deposits, which contain large amounts of heavy minerals in low concentrations.
- Seismic data used in this study indicate that the Lower Flora Sandstone is conformable with the underlying strata.
- Deposited sediments are conformable on top of those of the South Bashkirian Basin.
- Example sentences
- ‘This imparts bidirectional tearing properties and increases the tape's conformability,’ he says.
- In the absence of market conformability, it seems plausible to think that legislation will increase the variability in the residue-deviation gaps that are present within a society.
- But it's arguable that science also requires faith, faith in the future progress of knowledge, and in the ultimate openness and conformability of the universe to the human intellect.
- Example sentences
- The ‘platy limestone’ unit overlies, apparently conformably, a cliff-forming unit of interbedded limestone and chert with occasional flat-pebble conglomerates.
- That is, there might well be a distinction between the way the common law defence develops, conformably with the Constitution, and the strict limitations on the necessary implication from the Constitution.
- One, who in our climate, should expect better weather in any week of June than in one of December, would reason justly, and conformably to experience; but it is certain, that he may happen, in the event, to find himself mistaken.
Definition of conformable in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan