Definition of conformal in English:
(Of a map projection or a mathematical mapping) preserving the correct angles between directions within small areas, though distorting distances. Also called orthomorphic.
- He also obtained important results on conformal mappings showing that angles were preserved on the boundary almost everywhere.
- His doctoral thesis is an important contribution to conformal mappings of multiply connected plane domains.
- He is also known for applications of the kernel function to conformal mappings.
- Example sentences
- Although he had given a proof of the theorem that any simply connected region of the plane can be mapped conformally onto a disc, his proof involved using the Dirichlet problem.
- He also studied polynomials, now named after him, which approximate a function that conformally maps a given simply-connected domain onto a disc.
- Surprisingly, classical string theory dynamics is described by a conformally invariant 2D quantum field theory.
Definition of conformal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan