Definition of Confucian in English:
Of or relating to Confucius or Confucianism.
- This assertion denies the history of Buddhist entry into Japan, in which Shinto gods were honored as bodhisattvas and Taoist and Confucian values were prized.
- To praise the emperor who burned the Confucian books and buried Confucian scholars alive was the equivalent in China of praising King Herod who massacred the innocents.
- These are designed to rebalance the cosmos in much the same way as the Emperor rebalanced the cosmos in the strange mixture of Shamanic and Confucian rituals at the solstices at the temples of Heaven and Earth.
nounBack to top
An adherent of Confucianism.
- The idea came from Buddhism rather than Confucianism, but for Confucians it implied no other-worldly quietism.
- Most of the Chinese are Buddhists, Confucians, or Taoists and a few are Christians.
- A smattering of noodle shops leads into an Asian quarter thick with Buddhists, Shintoists and Confucians.
Words that rhyme with Confucianablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
Definition of Confucian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.