(also conic projection)
- A map projection in which an area of the earth is projected onto a cone whose vertex is usually above one of the poles, then unrolled onto a flat surface.More example sentences
- Among his other achievements was the fact that he invented the conical projection, an important projection of the sphere onto a plane which is used in cartography.
- With south oriented at its top, scales of latitude, and a complex conical projection, this was a cutting-edge world map.
- His maps were the first known to use conic projections.
More definitions of conical projectionDefinition of conical projection in:
- The British & World English dictionary