Definition of conjunctiva in English:
noun (plural conjunctivae /-ˈtīvē/)Anatomy
The mucous membrane that covers the front of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelids.
- Over the sclera lies the conjunctiva, a clear mucous membrane that protects the eye from becoming dry.
- The remaining chapters include discussions of tumors of the orbit, eyelid, conjunctiva, cornea and sclera, uvea, and optic nerve.
- Most ocular complications involve the cornea but may also include the conjunctiva, uvea, sclera, retina, and surrounding structures.
- Example sentences
- Unlike eyelid or conjunctival involvement, corneal involvement can result in significant vision loss.
- It is important to identify and remove conjunctival and corneal foreign bodies.
- Review of the medical records indicated a definite cutaneous or conjunctival primary in 9 of 12 cases.
Definition of conjunctiva in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India