Definition of consecutive in English:
1Following continuously: five consecutive months of serious decline
More example sentences
- Last month's hike is the first following five consecutive months of falling rates.
- Economists said this ninth consecutive rise would be followed by further increases in the months ahead.
- He followed up with three consecutive Championship wins and was runner-up three times in succession.
1.1In unbroken or logical sequence.
- You can also look for sequences of consecutive primes in arithmetic progression.
- A quantitative comparison of the flickers observed in the two consecutive image sequences was performed.
- A Terz is a sequence of three consecutive cards; it is worth 20 points.
1.2 Grammar Expressing consequence or result: a consecutive clause
More example sentences
- In its role as a consecutive connector and as a punctuation marker, it corresponds to other markers in English than well or cos, eg. then or therefore.
- The consecutive connector can be omitted.
- Consecutive adverbial subordinate sentences are those that express a consequence of what the main clause says.
1.3 Music Denoting intervals of the same kind (especially fifths or octaves) occurring in succession between two parts or voices.
- Since a majority of Dixieland numbers have long chains of secondary dominants you end up using the following scale respectively over each consecutive chord.
- For this particular pattern there is a classical fingering pattern which is repeated over each consecutive octave.
- As the player went higher, more notes were available in each consecutive octave.
- Example sentences
- And the link has a social character; it is not mere consecutiveness in time, but a context of interaction.
- In the first stages of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence.
- Nearly all of the thefts have been trivial, but the consecutiveness of the attempts at burglary has put the residents on the alert.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan