An action that violates a law, treaty, or other ruling: young persons who commit offenses bear responsibility for their contraventions
More example sentences
- At the time of the offence, or the contravention, you will never know whether there has been actual recoupment.
- I am trying to think of an example of a contravention of this restraining order that would not turn upon presence in the premises.
- But in both cases, your Honour, one is looking at the misconduct of the contravention.
in contravention of
- In a manner contrary and disobedient to (a law or other ruling).Example sentences
- Police chiefs believe such rulings would not be in contravention of human rights legislation although the club has yet to take such action.
- It appears to be in contravention of international law and the UN Charter.
- His eavesdropping was indisputably in contravention of the law of the land.
Words that rhyme with contraventionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, convention, declension, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.