- A technique for training young children to fall asleep on their own, in which the child is left to cry for gradually increasing periods of time before being comforted: Dr. Green advocates a program of controlled cryingMore example sentences
- This is something that gets debated a lot; you've got controlled crying; you've got people who say 'Just shut the door and walk away' and you've got three nights of hell and you get better.
- We then did the dreaded controlled crying, ending with a kid who did sleep on his own and only woke four or five times a night instead of nine or ten.
- He has been sleeping fine for about a week now (thanks to evil mummy and daddy using a mixture of controlled crying and locking him in his room - just add your hate mail to the comments section - but it worked and he's a happy sleepy camper now!).
More definitions of controlled cryingDefinition of controlled crying in:
- The British & World English dictionary