Giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement: years of wrangling over a controversial bypass
More example sentences
- Pay hikes awarded to council bosses mirror the highly controversial rises in council tax.
- Ian Waugh looks at the rise of one of the country's most controversial political figures.
- The debate over the use of cannabis in medicine is controversial and emotive.
contentious, disputed, at issue, disputable, debatable, arguable, vexed, tendentious
- Example sentences
- Yet neither public policymakers nor the controversialists who harass them can reasonably expect to enter a new year without making some kind of assessment of what the next 12 months may hold.
- There is something about the Hitchens family that breeds controversialists with deft pens.
- Of course I'm a professional controversialist but, once my copy is filed, I'm invariably the person at any gathering murmuring, ‘Oh, let's just agree to disagree!’
Late 16th century: from late Latin controversialis, from controversia (see controversy).
Words that rhyme with controversialcommercial, Herschel, inertial, infomercial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.