Definition of convalescent in English:
1(Of a person) recovering from an illness or operation.
- The virus is present in the exhaled air, secretions and faeces of infected birds, both before they show signs of illness and while they are convalescent.
- In England, porter, originally the beer favoured by porters at the market, became the health drink of the Victorians, often prescribed by doctors for convalescent ladies.
- Undaunted Seacole funded her own trip to the Crimea where she established the British Hotel near Balaclava to provide ‘a mess-table and comfortable quarters for sick and convalescent officers’.
1.1Relating to convalescence: a convalescent home
More example sentences
- This raises issues of adequate pain control during the hospital and convalescent phase of illness.
- The table shows the results of blood tests performed during the acute and convalescent stages of the illness.
- Western Montana residents needed a hospital that could provide medical and convalescent care.
nounBack to top
A person who is recovering after an illness or operation.
- Recall the case of the convalescents in the hospital ward.
- Their white colour and delicate texture have conspired to give them a reputation as a food for invalids or convalescents.
- But each district of Rome had a hospital, and there were hospitals for pilgrims, lying-in hospitals, hospitals for convalescents.
Words that rhyme with convalescentacquiescent, adolescent, albescent, Besant, coalescent, confessant, crescent, depressant, effervescent, erubescent, evanescent, excrescent, flavescent, fluorescent, immunosuppressant, incandescent, incessant, iridescent, juvenescent, lactescent, liquescent, luminescent, nigrescent, obsolescent, opalescent, pearlescent, phosphorescent, pubescent, putrescent, quiescent, suppressant, turgescent, virescent, viridescent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.