Definition of convene in English:
Come or bring together for a meeting or activity; assemble: [with object]: he convened a group of well-known scientists and philosophers he had convened a secret meeting of military personnel [no object]: the committee had convened for its final plenary session
More example sentences
- The leaders of three religions A, B and C decided to convene a meeting to bring about peace.
- The mediator will usually meet with the opposing parties separately at first before convening a meeting where they are bought together.
- Thus, a meeting convened by the finance secretary here today proved inconclusive.
convener (also convenor) noun
- Example sentences
- Connelly was one of many speakers and performers who came together to pay tribute to the life and work of Dr Andrew McNaughtan, human rights activist and former convener of the Australia-East Timor Association.
- National Democratic Alliance convener George Fernandes had warned that bureaucrats should not make a beeline for Sonia's residence as she was not a minister.
- Throughout the life of the group, I have served as convener, leader, and facilitator.
Late Middle English: from Latin convenire 'assemble, agree, fit', from con- 'together' + venire 'come'.
Words that rhyme with conveneAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.