1Coming closer together, especially in characteristics or ideas: convergent changes in languages
More example sentences
- The process seems to be evolutionary, not revolutionary - as the faculty have incorporated some convergent or multi-platform ideas in some classes over those years.
- Harter's measure was designed for children in Grades 3 through 9 and has demonstrated factorial, convergent, and construct validity with this population.
- Perhaps we are still too ‘modern’ to define science so widely that it embraces the fact of subjectivity or the directional and convergent character of the cosmos.
1.1Relating to convergence: a convergent boundary
1.2 Mathematics (Of a series) approaching a definite limit as more of its terms are added.
- The standards of rigour that he set, defining, for example, irrational numbers as limits of convergent series, strongly affected the future of mathematics.
- Although they have often been dismissed as logical nonsense, many attempts have also been made to dispose of them by means of mathematical theorems, such as the theory of convergent series or the theory of sets.
- A method of summation is called regular, if it sums every convergent series to its ordinary sum.
1.3 Biology Relating to or denoting evolutionary convergence.
- That kind of independent ‘invention,’ known as convergent evolution, is a sign of a trait's evolutionary value.
- The most amazing fact about the evolution of flight is the extent of convergent evolution between the three main groups that evolved it (again, the pterosaurs, birds, and bats).
- There are several cases of convergent evolution between marsupials and placental mammals, in which the two animals have evolved to fill the same ecological niche in different parts of the world.
1.4(Of thought) tending to follow well-established patterns.
- Note that nearly all formal education is concentrated on convergent thinking and the concept of the "Right Answer"!
- From a psychological perspective, this research seems to indicate that past success may give rise to convergent thinking in groups.
- I argue that the relationship between past success and convergent thinking may depend on the attributions that groups generate to explain their shared success.
Words that rhyme with convergentdetergent, divergent, emergent, insurgent, resurgent, urgent
Definition of convergent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.