Definition of convocation in English:
1A large formal assembly of people.
- This was their second reunion as a similar convocation gathered for a get together in Summerhill twenty-five years ago.
- Security and logistic preparations are well under way in Algeria in preparation for the convocation of the highest-level Arab wide congregation.
- Thanks to things like the Poetry Project and Naropa and other off-the-beaten-track arts centres there are festivals and convocations, and poets are on the Internet too.
1.1North American A formal ceremony at a college or university, as for the conferring of awards.
- Initially, the hall was to host lectures and speeches as primary functions, followed by university convocations and ceremonies, and lastly musical and theatrical performances.
- The three were selected from 25 nominations submitted last month and will be recognized at the university's spring awards convocation March 28.
- The President's Office confirmed the award winner would be honored during the university's spring awards convocation, lending additional legitimacy to the award.
2The action of calling people together for a large formal assembly.
- From Megiddo in 1485 BC to Kosovo in ad 1999, this argument runs, the only thing all wars have had in common has been to increase governments' powers of convocation and coercion.
- The proposal is to complete the convocation by July ’, Prof. Ponnusamy states.
- The petition went on to demand the eight-hour working day, the separation of church from state, a fair wage, land to be redistributed, and the convocation of a constituent assembly.
- Example sentences
- The east wing expands convocational space for cultural events within the museum and increases and modernizes collection storage facilities.
- Each of the convocational churches is also on our mailing list so that, hopefully, flyers are posted and bulletin and newsletter announcements are made in every congregation.
- The Mick Thompson Center will consist of renovating the convocational facilities to include expansion of the seating area and additional classroom space.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan