Definition of convolvulus in English:
noun (plural convolvuluses)
A twining plant with trumpet-shaped flowers, some kinds of which are invasive weeds (see also bindweed), while others, especially morning glories, are cultivated for their bright flowers.
- Genus Convolvulus, family Convolvulaceae
- Some other plants had survived, a small convolvulus, golden lamium and creeping geranium were beginning to sprout so these were potted up but the lining fell to bits when the basket was emptied.
- One is a convolvulus called Goat's Foot Morning Glory, the other is Beach Bean, from the pea family and named for its huge woody seeds.
- In the Autumn, when the convolvulus has taken over suburban Australian gardens, strangling trees, insinuating itself into garden sheds, creeping across garden paths, the very name declares its despised status as a weed.
Mid 16th century: Latin, literally 'bindweed', from convolvere 'roll together' (see convolve).
Definition of convolvulus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.