(Chiefly of drugs) producing sudden and involuntary muscle contractions.
- Some users, however, report that they become more sensitive to cocaine's anesthetic and convulsant effects even without increasing the amount.
- This is done by the psychiatric profession under the medical term ‘ECT’ (electro convulsant therapy).
- Experimental studies have confirmed that folates are highly convulsant if the blood-brain barrier is circumvented.
A convulsant drug.
- Seizures could be nonepileptic if evoked in the normal brain by treatments, such as electric shock or chemical convulsants, or epileptic when occurring without evident provocation.
- The toxic ingredients are of various types, ranging from local irritants to convulsants, hallucinogens, and neurotoxins (nerve poisons).
- Other herbal extracts, essence of sage which contains camphor, a well-known convulsant, and essence of hysop which contains pinocamphone, a neurotoxin, are commonly encountered ‘natural remedies.’
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of convulsant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.