- 1A flat stone forming part of the coping of a wall.More example sentences
- In the cathedral of Vienna, the architect of the fifteenth-century Chapel of St. Barbara doubled the effect by fashioning two instances of the hanging copestones supported by flying ribs - one in each of its two bays.
- For small erections may be finished by their first architect; grand ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity.
- 1.1The highest stone in a building, wall, or structure.More example sentences
- In 1870 (or 1871 depending on the source material), lightning struck the spire, dislodging a coping stone.
- Inspection covers for the arches have been removed on occasions and coping stones weighing half a ton or more have been pushed off.
- But in the absence of a CDS, this structure is like an arch without a coping stone.
- 1.2A finishing touch or crowning achievement.More example sentences
- The universe is finished the copestone is on, and the chips were carted off a million years ago.
- Far from the first attack, it was the copestone of eight years marked, roughly annually, by attempted or successful terrorist operations.
More definitions of copestoneDefinition of copestone in:
- The British & World English dictionary