- 1A polished copper plate with a design engraved or etched into it.More example sentences
- Much controversy still remains regarding the techniques used, but all processes began with etching and/or engraving the desired design on a copperplate.
- Then the copperplate is etched, and the image transferred onto fine Japanese paper.
- By the age of eleven, Maria could engrave a copperplate.
- 1.1A print made from a copperplate.More example sentences
- The atlas's hundreds of thousands of copperplate pages rolled off his nine Amsterdam printing presses (then the largest in the world) at a time when the Dutch East India Company was dominating Asian trade and mapping its territories.
- 2A style of neat, round handwriting, usually slanted and looped, the thick and thin strokes being made by pressure with a flexible metal nib.[the copybooks for this round hand were originally printed from copperplates]More example sentences
- Even then I regretted not being allowed to learn and to use copperplate but the days of the flexible steel pen nib were already ending.
- Please note that he only wants entries via email, so if your manuscript is written in copperplate across twenty-seven violet-scented onionskin pages, start typing.
- The hand with which she wrote her reply still showed the strong traces of a schoolgirl's copperplate, but her careless haste removed from it the appearance of any formality.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or in copperplate writing.More example sentences
- A painting of the sun setting over the sea in his book in 1921 was accompanied by the following message in very small copperplate writing.
- Visitors can take their place at desks in three period classrooms and write on slates with chalk before progressing to dip pens and exercise books to practise ornate copperplate writing.
- Not since Arthur Stace's copperplate eternity signature graced Sydney's streets in the '50s has street art attracted such attention.
More definitions of copperplateDefinition of copperplate in:
- The British & World English dictionary