Definition of coral snake in English:
A brightly colored venomous snake of the cobra family, typically having conspicuous bands of red, yellow, white, and black. Compare with false coral snake.
- Micrurus and other genera in the family Elapidae: numerous species
- Thus, several kinds of king snakes mimic the venomous coral snake's distinctive pattern of alternating red, black, and yellow or white bands.
- The ruse works so successfully that some 30 other non-venomous snakes have mimicked the coral snake and share similar color patterns.
- The Eastern coral snake, itself highly venomous, is also easily avoided.
Definition of coral snake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.