A coarse wiry coastal grass that is sometimes used to stabilize mudflats.
- Genus Spartina, family Gramineae
More example sentences
- Marsh vegetation consists mainly of cattail and sedges (Scirpus americana and Carex sp.), with salt marsh cordgrass occurring along creek banks.
- The river channel meanders through wide tidal freshwater marshes of cattail and sedges (Carex spp. and Scirpus spp.), with stands of saltmarsh cordgrass along the upper banks.
- Along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of North America, both species feed exclusively on the phloem sap of cordgrass, Spartina alterniflora.
Definition of cordgrass in:
- The British & World English dictionary