Definition of cordgrass in English:
A coarse wiry coastal grass that is sometimes used to stabilize mudflats.
- Genus Spartina, family Gramineae
- Marsh vegetation consists mainly of cattail and sedges (Scirpus americana and Carex sp.), with salt marsh cordgrass occurring along creek banks.
- The river channel meanders through wide tidal freshwater marshes of cattail and sedges (Carex spp. and Scirpus spp.), with stands of saltmarsh cordgrass along the upper banks.
- Along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of North America, both species feed exclusively on the phloem sap of cordgrass, Spartina alterniflora.
Definition of cordgrass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan