1A thick cotton fabric with velvety ribs.
- Whether it's cotton, corduroy (thin or thick ridges) or velour, a blazer will help you blaze any trail with the utmost of style.
- Any fabric works for this delightful treat: denim, corduroy, cotton, or if you are feeling slightly daring, some PVC or leather.
- Scraps of cloth were saved up for quilting - any sort of cotton, corduroy, knit or synthetic fabric was free.
1.1 (corduroys) Pants made of corduroy.
- A wool or cotton crewneck or V-neck sweater, with your favorite jeans, corduroys or fitted five-pocket pants.
- Unless you're going to work, do not wear a button-down shirt tucked into your corduroys.
- Make sure to select a shirt that matches at least several jeans, corduroys or Dockers of yours.
Late 18th century: probably from cord 'ribbed fabric' + duroy, denoting a kind of lightweight worsted formerly made in the West of England; of unknown origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.