Definition of corduroy in English:
1A thick cotton fabric with velvety ribs.
- Whether it's cotton, corduroy (thin or thick ridges) or velour, a blazer will help you blaze any trail with the utmost of style.
- Any fabric works for this delightful treat: denim, corduroy, cotton, or if you are feeling slightly daring, some PVC or leather.
- Scraps of cloth were saved up for quilting - any sort of cotton, corduroy, knit or synthetic fabric was free.
1.1 (corduroys) Pants made of corduroy.
- A wool or cotton crewneck or V-neck sweater, with your favorite jeans, corduroys or fitted five-pocket pants.
- Unless you're going to work, do not wear a button-down shirt tucked into your corduroys.
- Make sure to select a shirt that matches at least several jeans, corduroys or Dockers of yours.
Late 18th century: probably from cord 'ribbed fabric' + duroy, denoting a kind of lightweight worsted formerly made in the West of England; of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with corduroyFitzroy • viceroy • Norroy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan