A large diving bird with a long neck, long hooked bill, short legs, and mainly dark plumage. It typically breeds on coastal cliffs and is noted for its voracious appetite.
- Genus Phalacrocorax (and Nannopterum), family Phalacrocoracidae: numerous species, in particular the widespread great (or European) cormorant (P. carbo) and the North American double-crested cormorant (P. auritus)
More example sentences
- We were extremely fortunate that the cormorants were in breeding plumage.
- The double-crested cormorant is a black bird with a long neck, long bill, hooked on the end, and long tail.
- Ducks, coots, teals, terns, gulls, cormorants, waders, egrets, plovers and herons are some of the birds that assemble here.
Definition of cormorant in:
- The British & World English dictionary