Definition of cormorant in English:
- Genus Phalacrocorax (and Nannopterum), family Phalacrocoracidae: numerous species, in particular the widespread great (or European) cormorant (P. carbo) and the North American double-crested cormorant (P. auritus)
- We were extremely fortunate that the cormorants were in breeding plumage.
- The double-crested cormorant is a black bird with a long neck, long bill, hooked on the end, and long tail.
- Ducks, coots, teals, terns, gulls, cormorants, waders, egrets, plovers and herons are some of the birds that assemble here.
Picture a glossy black cormorant, a large diving bird with a long neck, greedily gobbling down great quantities of fish, and you might agree that the description ‘sea raven’ seems rather fitting. This is indeed the meaning of the Latin corvus marinus, the source of the bird's name. Since the 16th century the word has also been used to describe an insatiably greedy person or thing.
Words that rhyme with cormorantaccelerant • tolerant
Definition of cormorant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.