Definition of corn borer in English:
A moth whose larvae feed upon and bore into corn.
- Several species in the family Pyralidae, in particular the European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilalis), which was accidentally introduced into North America, and Diatraea (or Zeadiatraea) grandiosella of the southern US
- European corn borer moths have been active since the second week in May in south central Nebraska, based on catches in black light traps at Aurora and Clay Center, and activity likely has extended northward.
- The emerging corn borer moths are recaptured in black light traps placed at varying distances around the release sites.
- Female corn borer moths have a sophisticated array of sensors to help find suitable sites for depositing eggs.
Definition of corn borer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan