(also corn crake)
- A secretive Eurasian crake inhabiting coarse grasslands, with mainly brown streaked plumage and a distinctive double rasping call. Also called land rail.
More example sentences
- Crex crex, family Rallidae
- The eight endangered species of birds are common scoter, hen harrier, grey partridge, corncrake, red-necked phalarope, nightjar, roseate tern and corn bunting.
- Like other crakes the corncrake was more prone than most to colliding with overhead wires.
- Among the birds which have suffered catastrophic losses over the past 30 years are the tree sparrow, grey partridge, lapwing, curlew, snipe, skylark, corncrake, corn bunting, black and red grouse.
More definitions of corncrakeDefinition of corncrake in:
- The British & World English dictionary