Definition of cornetfish in English:
noun (plural same or cornetfishes)
A large marine fish with a long, narrow, flutelike snout, an elongated body, and a whiplike extension to the tail. It is common in shallow tropical waters of the Atlantic and Indo-Pacific region.
- Family Fistularidae and genus Fistularia: several species
- Species that feed at dusk are termed crepuscular and include jacks snappers, tarpon, cornetfishes and groupers.
- Around the two Piton sites we shared the ocean with parrotfish, trumpetfish, smooth trunkfish, cornetfish, tiger grouper, a trio of barracuda, rock beauties, Spanish hogfish and many more exotic species.
- The reef earns its good reputation with large gorgonian fan corals up to 3m across and cornetfish, groupers and glassfish in abundance.
Definition of cornetfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan