1A slender Eurasian plant related to the knapweeds, with flowers that are typically a deep, vivid blue.
- Genus Centaurea, family Compositae: several species, including the annual Centaurea cyanus (also called bluebottle), formerly a common weed of cornfields, and the perennial C. montana, grown in gardens.
- I recall clutching colorful handfuls of pale blue cornflowers, dainty yellow buttercups, fragrant pink wild roses and yes - golden black-eyed Susans.
- Flowers, such as cornflowers, scarlet pimpernel and shepherd's needle, used to be a common sight in the county's cornfields 50 years ago, but today many are rare, or even extinct.
- At last they come upon it - the farmhouse covered in wisteria, hydrangeas in bloom all around, the yarrow and cornflowers, the daisies and black-eyed Susans.
1.1 (also cornflower blue) A deep, vivid blue color.
- With each moment that passes, the sun's color shimmers and changes from startling purples and magentas to the soft hues of cornflower blue.
- They wore cornflower blue strapless fitted bodices with fishtail shaped skirts and carried hand-tied bouquets of white carnations and pale blue freesia.
- Decorated in cornflower blue and white, this features a striking granite fireplace with marble inset and, like most of the ground floor accommodation, is floored in Junkers timber.
Words that rhyme with cornflowercornflour
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of cornflower in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.