1A slender Eurasian plant related to the knapweeds, with flowers that are typically a deep, vivid blue.
- Genus Centaurea, family Compositae: several species, including the annual Centaurea cyanus (also called bluebottle), formerly a common weed of cornfields, and the perennial C. montana, grown in gardens
- I recall clutching colorful handfuls of pale blue cornflowers, dainty yellow buttercups, fragrant pink wild roses and yes - golden black-eyed Susans.
- Flowers, such as cornflowers, scarlet pimpernel and shepherd's needle, used to be a common sight in the county's cornfields 50 years ago, but today many are rare, or even extinct.
- At last they come upon it - the farmhouse covered in wisteria, hydrangeas in bloom all around, the yarrow and cornflowers, the daisies and black-eyed Susans.
1.1 (also cornflower blue) A deep, vivid blue color.
- With each moment that passes, the sun's color shimmers and changes from startling purples and magentas to the soft hues of cornflower blue.
- They wore cornflower blue strapless fitted bodices with fishtail shaped skirts and carried hand-tied bouquets of white carnations and pale blue freesia.
- Decorated in cornflower blue and white, this features a striking granite fireplace with marble inset and, like most of the ground floor accommodation, is floored in Junkers timber.
Words that rhyme with cornflowercornflour
Definition of cornflower in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.