Definition of cornhusking in English:
1The removal of husks from ears of corn.
- He had his cornhusking to do, and he wanted to get all the fall jobs finished before cold weather.
- The conception of cornhusking as a sport rather than a chore sprang from the fertile brain of Henry Agard Wallace.
- Winter is coming, and Charlotte's days are filled with cornhusking and candle dipping and helping Mama mind baby Mary.
1.1The husking of corn by several people as a social event. Also called husking bee.
- Its large rooms were fashioned not just to accommodate weddings, funerals, prayer meetings, cornhuskings, and the like, but to provide shelter during storms and Indian attacks.
- During the 1780s, community cornhuskings, barn raisings, logrollings, and quilting bees symbolized the overall cooperation among rural New Englanders.
- They must hurry to complete their chores early, as by late afternoon they will journey three miles by foot to attend a cornhusking and dance in their neighbors’ new barn.