1An official who investigates violent, sudden, or suspicious deaths.
- The function of the coroner's inquest is to establish the cause of death, not to apportion blame.
- At an inquest last month the coroner said a police inquiry should be held.
- At her inquest, the coroner recorded an open verdict because he was not convinced she intended to kill herself.
- Example sentences
- For his part in this trouble, Nicholas was removed from the coronership in December 1379, and the following August was disfranchised and the burgesses were prohibited from trading, socializing or even speaking with him.
- It analyses the contemporary role of the coroner and how the institution of coronership is likely to evolve in the post-Shipman era.
- Being partners in the same practice and all based at 23 Lichfield Street gives us the ability to provide a comprehensive and efficient coronership service.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of coroner in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.