1An official who investigates violent, sudden, or suspicious deaths.
More example sentences
- The function of the coroner's inquest is to establish the cause of death, not to apportion blame.
- At an inquest last month the coroner said a police inquiry should be held.
- At her inquest, the coroner recorded an open verdict because he was not convinced she intended to kill herself.
- More example sentences
- For his part in this trouble, Nicholas was removed from the coronership in December 1379, and the following August was disfranchised and the burgesses were prohibited from trading, socializing or even speaking with him.
- It analyses the contemporary role of the coroner and how the institution of coronership is likely to evolve in the post-Shipman era.
- Being partners in the same practice and all based at 23 Lichfield Street gives us the ability to provide a comprehensive and efficient coronership service.
Definition of coroner in:
- The British & World English dictionary