Relating to or denoting a hooked projection of bone. See coronoid process.
- Superior to the trochlea is another anterior depression called the coronoid fossa which receives part of the ulna when flexed.
- The anterior compartment is thoroughly evaluated for loose bodies; evidence of chondral damage to the coronoid process, capitellum, or radial head; or osteophyte formation in the coronoid fossa.
- On one specimen tiny coronoid teeth are shown in medial view.
noun(also coronoid bone) Zoology
A slender bone forming part of the lower jaw in primitive vertebrates.
- These striations indicate where the dentary was overlapped medially by the coronoids.
- All three coronoids are dentigerous.
- The dentary narrows posterior to the coronoid, and forms a short but robust condylar process that terminates in a large, broad condyle.
Mid 18th century: from Greek korōnē, denoting something hooked, + -oid.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of coronoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.