Definition of corruption in English:
1Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery: the journalist who wants to expose corruption in high places
More example sentences
- This produces a perfect environment for corruption, bribery and insider-dealing.
- He claimed that the investigation had shown allegations of insider trading, bribery and corruption to be false.
- He said he supported the role of the media in exposing corruption, dishonesty and malpractice in public life.
1.1The action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so: the word “addict” conjures up evil and corruption
More example sentences
- Righting wrongs and fighting evil, corruption, wickedness and stupidity is just part time work.
- He sinned, and his nature was thereby corrupted and depraved; and this corruption is conveyed to all his posterity.
- She does not die as a victim, but having forgiven her executioners, she talks back at them and tries to show them their corruption, perversion and inhumanity.
2The process by which something, typically a word or expression, is changed from its original use or meaning to one that is regarded as erroneous or debased.
- Barolini's love for language is evident throughout the book as well; much of the prose is concerned with ferreting out word origins, with word play, corruptions, and evolution.
- However, all phoneticians and linguists agree that the widely held view that many accents are corruptions of a pure pronunciation has no scientific basis whatsoever.
- I am disinterested in their games, parties, loves and hates - and frequently distressed by their corruptions of the language.
2.1The process of causing errors to appear in a computer program or database.
- This can cause data corruption, particularly with databases.
- Access errors lead to data corruption, which causes a program to behave incorrectly or crash.
- The tool enables the user to choose which records to display and includes safety mechanisms to prevent accidental data corruption.
Words that rhyme with corruptionabruption, disruption, eruption, interruption
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan