- A city inhabited by people from many different countries.More example sentences
- The emphasis was on living the good life in the here and now, whether in the city state or the cosmopolis.
- In this fashion, the Stoics introduce clear, practical content to their metaphor of the cosmopolis: a cosmopolitan considers moving away in order to serve, whereas a non-cosmopolitan does not.
- This means new wealth, and it has again become the oil cosmopolis it was in the early 20th century; but it also means renewed great-power competition for political hegemony over the region.
mid 19th century: from Greek kosmos 'world' + polis 'city'.
More definitions of cosmopolisDefinition of cosmopolis in:
- The British & World English dictionary