Definition of costa in English:
noun (plural costae /-tē, -tī/)Botany & Zoology
1A rib, midrib, or riblike structure.
- It has strong divaricate ornamentation of coarse costae and/or small plicae, which bear low, close nodes, but which cover both the anterior and posterior faces of the shell.
- The main part of the shell is coarsely commarginally lamellose and lacks radial costae.
- The internal molds are smooth with exception of traces of the concentric costae on the rostral face.
1.1 Entomology The main vein running along the leading edge of an insect’s wing.
- The forewings generally are reduced to the region immediately adjacent to the costa, having separated along the radius and cubitus veins.
- It resulted in outgrowths and duplications of the costa region of the wing.
mid 19th century: from Latin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan