Entry from British & World English dictionary
nounAustralian /NZ informal
1A person who is too ill to leave their bed.
- Shot, gassed and riddled with shrapnel, his father comes back from the Great War a cot-case who has to be nursed on the tribal lands by his wife through his fits and moods until he finally succumbs to his injuries at the age of 39.
- He has now been telling Australia and the world that we are an economic cot-case.
- Well you'd better not come here or you'll finish up a cot-case and I'll be a nervous wreck!
1.1A person who is incapacitated by alcohol.
- There are plenty of highly intelligent individuals who are functional cot-cases.
1.2An eccentric or mad person.
- It takes a certain kind of nerdy, self-obsessed cot-case to join.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cot-case
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.