- 1A large, dangerous semiaquatic pit viper that inhabits lowland swamps and waterways of the southeastern US. When threatening, it opens its mouth wide to display the white interior. Also called water moccasin.
More example sentences
- Agkistrodon piscivorus, family Viperidae
- Dogs bitten by any of Texas' dangerous snakes, including rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads and coral snakes, often suffer unnecessarily.
- It's because of birds that I know the difference between a sugar maple and a red maple, a diamondback water snake and a cottonmouth, an American lady and a painted lady.
- This is the only product that can neutralize toxins from rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and copperheads.
More definitions of cottonmouthDefinition of cottonmouth in:
- The British & World English dictionary