Definition of cottonwood in English:
A North American poplar with seeds covered in white cottony hairs.
- Genus Populus, family Salicaceae: several species, including P. deltoides
- Select light and airy woods like white cedar, white pine, cottonwood, poplar, spruce or larch (tamarack).
- The genus Populus (poplars, cottonwoods and aspens) contains approx. 30 species of woody plant, all found in the Northern hemisphere and exhibiting some of the fastest growth rates observed in temperate trees.
- The willows, white oaks, cottonwoods, and pecans that grow here are normally much taller than the oaks of the Cross Timbers forest.
Words that rhyme with cottonwoodcoachwood • rosewood
Definition of cottonwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan