Definition of couch in English:
1A long upholstered piece of furniture for several people to sit on.
- Furniture includes chairs and couches upholstered in amber, magenta, and burgundy.
- These prices are inclusive of a full furniture package to include beds, wardrobes, couches, curtains, tables and chairs.
- The only actual piece of furniture was a worn couch placed in the middle of the room, facing the far wall.
1.1A reclining seat with a headrest at one end on which a psychoanalyst’s subject or doctor’s patient lies while undergoing treatment.
- They enter his office to be faced with a comfortable leather sofa and an examination couch, complete with stirrups.
- Although I had never encountered status asthmaticus, the patient struggling for breath on the examination couch fitted the image locked in my memory.
- One UK department introduced a system where a doctor saw all patients with minor injuries that did not need an examination couch or an urgent intervention.
verb[with object] Back to top
1 (usually be couched in) Express (something) in language of a specified style: many false claims are couched in scientific jargon
More example sentences
- Notice how frequently they couch immoral concepts in language using the word ‘moral’?
- Of the three, the last is poetry couched in a simple language that can be understood even by those who have a basic knowledge of Sanskrit.
- Many of these claims for interactivity are couched in terms that cast the individual as a consumer rather than a citizen.
4 (usually as noun couching) chiefly historical Treat (a cataract) by pushing the lens of the eye downward and backward, out of line with the pupil.
- The surgeon performed a type of cataract surgery known as couching.
- The successful removal of the cataract by the couching method that he advocated and practised as early as in the 18th Century was perhaps as stunning an achievement as those of his British and European counterparts of that era.
5(In embroidery) fix (a thread) to a fabric by stitching it down flat with another thread: gold and silver threads couched by hand
More example sentences
- Try pin-tucking fabric, or couching down decorative threads, embroider by hand or by machine on the fronts, or even try beading an evening vest.
- Nine five-clawed dragons are couched in gold thread.
- Machine or hand embellishments, from elaborate beading and embroidery to couching with glitzy cords or braids, will enhance your appliqué.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan