1A weight that balances another weight.
- The counterbalance, straight drive shafts and the unique torque converter maximize the power in a healthy vibration-free curve.
- There's also a lift for disabled users which uses a counterbalance weight system.
- This is a steady cam, and this is a system of counterbalances and pulleys.
1.1A factor having the opposite effect to that of another and so preventing it from exercising a disproportionate influence: his restoration to power was intended as a counterbalance to his rival’s influence
More example sentences
- On his return to England in 1042, as Edward the Confessor, he promoted many of these Frenchmen into positions of influence, as a counterbalance to the overweening power of the Godwine family.
- However, his cold prose is an effective counterbalance to the unabashed mysticism usually associated with any current writing about Tibet.
- Firstly, it acts as a democratic counterbalance to the unelected European Commission, effectively the EU's civil service which initiates policy and proposes legislation.
1(Of a weight) balance (another weight).
- This helps get more of your weight to the left side, which counterbalances the weight and force of the ball at release.
- Its existence was hypothesized because the geographers of the day felt that something was needed to counterbalance the weight of the continents of the high northern latitudes around Greenland and the Arctic.
- The most I do for cheating is to progressively lean backward to counterbalance the weight when it starts getting awkward on later reps, but I never swing the weight.
1.1Neutralize or cancel by exerting an opposite influence: the extra cost of mail order may be counterbalanced by its convenience
More example sentences
- However, parental monitoring may counterbalance the negative influence of peers on substance use.
- But if it is not counterbalanced by an opposite movement, then we can never say anything about what is there - what is presenting itself as this particular thing of this particular sort.
- This secured him popular support that counterbalanced the opposition still evident in the Central Committee.
Words that rhyme with counterbalancebalance, imbalance, outbalance, valance
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.