Definition of counterclaim in English:
1A claim made to rebut a previous claim.
- And as with any hot scandal, it is fast developing into a whole new blame game altogether with claims and counterclaims flying all over the place - and that's just in the blogosphere.
- There have been claims and counterclaims throughout the week about what's happening inside that refugee camp, or indeed what happened in the previous days.
- It's been 14 months of headlines, charges, claims and counterclaims and lots of hearings.
1.1 Law A claim made by a defendant against the plaintiff.
- The defendants have a counterclaim for damages for trespass against the plaintiff.
- I am pretty confident the counterclaim will be tossed out and am hoping to get at least some of my money back, or at least a decision saying the money should be mine.
- The consulting engineers involved sought payment of $23,000, and got a counterclaim and suit for $200,000 for its claims.
verb[no object] chiefly Law Back to top
Make a counterclaim for something.
- It should be noted that the defendant counterclaimed against the plaintiffs for general damages of $250, 000.00 and punitive damages of $50, 000.00.
- Mr Jaura counterclaimed for damages for wrongful termination of the lease.
- In addition Mr Newbery counterclaimed damages for shock and distress.
Definition of counterclaim in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.