Definition of countermark in English:
1An additional mark placed on something already marked, typically for increased security.
- Any earlier coins that show a countermark do not indicate a date when later coins were countermarked.
- On the other hand, the obverse countermarks show a rather careless placement on the imperial portrait.
- At our last meeting Richard Baker gave another in his series of talks on countermarks or stamps.
1.1A second watermark.
- Such watermarks are common in papers of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, and they often have a countermark giving the manufacturer's name and/or date.
- The countermark in the paper of the drypoint The Forge 1871 belongs to the firm De Erven de Blauw c.1822.
Definition of countermark in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan