An excavation dug to intercept another dug by an enemy.
- A countermine was successful when an enemy tunnel was intercepted.
- A mine dug through the solid rock below the castle was intercepted by a countermine, bringing the mining to an end.
- Here, the engineer is Hamlet, who is going to place some explosives in a countermine, one yard underneath that of his ‘excellent good friends’.
Dig a countermine against.
- Mining operations and countermining operations have been part of America's wars since World War II.
- Another 20 unknown contacts were countermined in harbours as the team responded to USN unmanned vehicle or marine mammal searches.
- By countermining at these points, the Barcaeans broke into the enemy's works and slew the men they found there.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of countermine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.