Definition of coupling in English:
1A device for connecting parts of machinery.
- Metal from valves, couplings, and other machinery can contaminate solar cells as they are grown from molten silicon, cut into wafers, and finished by adding dopants and attaching contacts.
- The uses of medium carbon-manganese steels include shafts, axles, gears, crankshafts, couplings and forgings.
- Each track is driven by a separate hydraulic circuit consisting of one variable-displacement piston pump connected by hose and couplings to a piston motor.
1.1A fitting on the end of a railroad vehicle for connecting it to another.
- I confirmed the coupling and brake hose connection, and noted that the cables were not in place.
- The force was such that the train broke one of its couplings and split into two.
- But the diesel kept going, because the hostler, not being a trainman, had never thought of trying the coupling.
2The pairing of two items: the coupling of coaching and personal training this coupling of two of the greatest works of Haydn
More example sentences
- Are photography and surrealism such an ‘unnatural coupling,’ as one observer has recently suggested?
- The external device and the implant under the scalp come together by magnetic coupling.
- This is only achieved by coupling great writing with great delivery.
- This capacity, when combined with coupling between peak sexual desire and peak fertility, ensures that sex effectively serves both reproductive and social ends.
- An early night allows for uninhibited intimate bodily coupling without worry of being overheard by a child.
- We now turn to the question of the effect of these national differences in the forms of coupling and number of partners on sexual activity itself.
2.2An interaction between two electrical components by electromagnetic induction, electrostatic charge, or optical link.
- Other techniques of electrical stimulation involve capacitive coupling and inductive coupling pulsed electromagnetic stimulation.
- The effect of electrical coupling on the impedance is shown in Figure 8.
- High power at high frequency provides inductive coupling and direct soil induction that will bridge or jump across an open or damaged cable.
Definition of coupling in:
- British & World English dictionary