Definition of coupon in English:
1A voucher entitling the holder to a discount for a particular product.
- The current rates are $5 per day, $28 per week and a reduced fee if the customer uses available discount coupons.
- The lesson in all this: Beware those $20 discount coupons and free flights.
- Besides the trophy, the winning team walked away with attractive goodies, gift and discount coupons sponsored by various organisations.
2A form in a newspaper or magazine that may be filled in and sent as an application for a purchase or information.
- In magazines or newspapers, coupons may be a part of an advert, as we see in Advert 12.3.
- We hope readers everywhere - not just in the areas affected - will sign and send the petition coupons back to us.
- We are backing the appeal, and we include a coupon in the newspaper so readers can send donations or pledge their support.
form, tear-off card
verb[no object] (usually as noun couponing) chiefly US Back to top
1(Of a business) issue or distribute coupons or vouchers offering discounts on particular goods or services: the company announced plans to reduce its couponing and just cut prices instead
More example sentences
- The company will only put $5 million into the launch, with most of that going to couponing and a handful of print ads.
- Cutting price or couponing have been useful tactics, but we really felt that it didn't do anything to build equity and may even erode it.
- As sales started to slip, the company embarked on heavy couponing promotions.
1.1(Of a consumer) collect and use coupons or vouchers offering discounts on goods or services: couponing has dropped their monthly grocery budget by upwards of $1,100 per month since she’d only been couponing for a few weeks, she didn’t have much of a grocery stockpile built up
More example sentences
- They're all trying to save money however they can - juggling credit cards, couponing, not eating out.
- Has couponing made us spend more in a given year even though the amount per item was less than normal price?
- If you enjoy couponing, focus on getting useful freebies, like toothpaste and cleaning products, instead of unhealthy foods.
- Example sentences
- The amount that couponers have saved per year has steadily grown and shows no sign of stopping.
- Shannon has agreed to help me become a couponer.
- Extreme couponers spend hours on web forums researching deals, then use vouchers with bulk-purchase to maximise savings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan