Definition of covariance in English:
1 Mathematics The property of a function of retaining its form when the variables are linearly transformed.
- The matrix formulation of the model produces an estimate that can be easily transformed into genetic covariance and correlations.
- If this occurs frequently, then MA experiments will be practically useless for studying any properties of mutational covariance.
- Contour plots of genetic covariance functions fitted by the character process model.
2 Statistics The mean value of the product of the deviations of two variates from their respective means.
- Statistically significant covariances among random intercepts, rates of change, and effects of depressed mood and delinquency variety are reported in the text only.
- The demographic variances and covariances of the elements are inversely proportional to the total population size.
- The direct estimation approach does well in estimating the overall covariance function: on average, the covariances are estimated with an error of 15%.
Definition of covariance in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.