Definition of cowbird in English:
A New World songbird with dark plumage and a relatively short bill, typically laying its eggs in other birds' nests.
- Genus Molothrus (and Scaphidura), family Icteridae: several species, in particular the widespreadbrown-headed (or common) cowbird (M. ater)
- Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.
- This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.
- Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.
Definition of cowbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.