Definition of cowbird in English:
A New World songbird with dark plumage and a relatively short bill, typically laying its eggs in other birds' nests.
- Genus Molothrus (and Scaphidura), family Icteridae: several species, in particular the widespreadbrown-headed (or common) cowbird (M. ater)
- Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.
- This fracturing allows birds of the forest edge, such as cowbirds and blue jays, to parasitize and prey upon the thrushes.
- Cuckoos and cowbirds lay eggs in nests of different species to avoid the costs of brood care.
Definition of cowbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan