(also cow town)
1A town or city in a cattle-raising area of western North America.
- Asheville in fact became a leading cow town long before that distinction befell Dodge City or Abilene.
- Livingston is attached to its past as an old cow town where you could walk down the street and greet your neighbors.
- If only it could talk, it looks as if it could tell tales of cattle drives, cow towns, campfires, shootouts - and gullible gunwriters.
1.1A small, isolated, or unsophisticated town.
- I've traveled by modem vehicle from south Texas to the Kansas cow town of Dodge City.
- At 18, she plunked down the money she'd been saving for years to buy a train ticket to Manhattan and leave her cow town behind.
- ‘I got off a tour bus when Denver was a sleepy cow town,’ he recalls.
Definition of cowtown in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.