adjective (crankier, crankiest)informal
- This lack of rest has caused a radical shift in my personality, making me cranky, irritable, and prone to curse loudly at the slightest provocation.
- Do you find yourself irritable and cranky, taking out your anxiety and frustration on those you love?
- These individuals are emotionally robust despite their shy demeanour, and they have high standards for themselves, which is why they can seem cranky and irritable.
- In life he was regarded as an awkward customer, a cranky, eccentric figure with a talent for rubbing people up the wrong way.
- The administrators are cranky and making the strangest decisions.
- We're not this weird, cranky, fanged minority that is secretly drinking blood in the name of its depraved godlessness!
- He would have had to spend many hours with expensive and cranky machinery in order to make phonetic measurements to correlate with listener judgments.
- The old, cranky generator breaks down with an annoying frequency, severing us from the computer and studio lights.
- The engine, cranky, rusty, out-of-practice, whirred to life. The entire vehicle began to shake, violently at first, then settling.
- Example sentences
- Kassy shook her head crankily, ‘It's nothing!’
- I remembered our argument and frowned crankily.
- I crankily pulled out my emergency credit card.
- Example sentences
- As a person ages, the signs of depression are much more likely to be dismissed as crankiness or grumpiness.
- The fact that she knows hormones are causing her temporary crankiness doesn't make the feelings any less real, so cut her some slack.
- If you cut back, your body shows signs of caffeine withdrawal, like headaches, crankiness and sleepiness.
Late 18th century (in the sense 'sickly, in poor health'): perhaps from obsolete (counterfeit) crank 'a rogue feigning sickness', from Dutch or German krank 'sick'.
Words that rhyme with crankyFrankie, hanky, hanky-panky, lanky, manky, swanky, Yankee
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.