noun[treated as singular]
- A gambling game played with two dice, chiefly in North America. A throw of 7 or 11 is a winning throw, 2, 3, or 12 is a losing throw; any other throw must be repeated. See also crap2.More example sentences
- At five, her father taught her how to throw craps, the gambling dice game.
- When she's not writing, she's reading, playing piano, or attempting to telekinetically control dice in the game of craps.
- He shook the coins in his hand like they were dice in a game of craps as he walked to a nearby phone booth.
early 19th century: perhaps from crab1 or crab's eyes, denoting the lowest throw (two ones) at dice.
More definitions of crapsDefinition of craps in:
- The British & World English dictionary