Definition of crawler in English:
1A thing that crawls or moves at a slow pace, especially an insect.
- All stages of the insect, except the crawler and the adult male, secrete a covering that lies over its dorsum for protection.
- An insecticide can be used to kill crawlers once they are detected.
- Contact insecticide sprays will not reach crawlers that have settled under old scales.
1.1 (in full crawler tractor) A tractor or other vehicle moving on an endless caterpillar track.
- Table 4 gives examples of time needed to clear land using two different sizes of crawler tractors.
- An example of a ‘group’ linked cost is the cost of providing crawler lanes for heavy vehicles.
- The crawler lane is intended to be a safety feature.
2 Computing A program that systematically browses the World Wide Web in order to create an index of data.
- Search engine crawlers will crawl web pages periodically for updated contents.
- Might search engines employing crawlers drop free listings altogether to concentrate on paid inclusion programs?
- Wouldn't it be nice to be able to leave some code in your web site to tell the search engine spider crawlers to make your site number one?
Words that rhyme with crawlerbrawler, caller, drawler, faller, forestaller, hauler, installer, mauler, Paula, stonewaller, trawler
Definition of crawler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.