A white, crystalline, acidic compound obtained as a byproduct of wine fermentation and used chiefly in baking powder.
- Alternative name: potassium hydrogen tartrate; chemical formula: HOOC(CHOH)2COOK
More example sentences
- The commercial production of tartaric acid begins with potassium hydrogen tartrate obtained as a waste product from the wine industry.
- Addition of an acid such as citric acid (found in lemon juice) or cream of tartar (which contains tartaric acid) also enhances inversion.
- Other examples are bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, calcium oxalate, and saltpetre.
More definitions of cream of tartarDefinition of cream of tartar in:
- The British & World English dictionary