- A philosophical approach to culture, and especially to literature, that seeks to confront the social, historical, and ideological forces and structures that produce and constrain it. The term is applied particularly to the work of the Frankfurt School.More example sentences
- There is, however, considerable unease about the implications of critical theory, social ecology and some varieties of deep ecology.
- A third position might insist on a new approach in which critical theory explores a new role within, not outside, the growing nexus of cultural markets and the arts.
- The third ‘science’ he considers is critical theory.
More definitions of critical theoryDefinition of critical theory in:
- The British & World English dictionary